2014 September Minutes

Blackness Area Community Council

Minutes of Committee Meeting 17 September 2014

 

Attendees

Council Members: Dave Lawson Nick Paul

Sharman Faulds Merv Archibald

 

PCs Iain Kyle and Erin Band, Alan Faulds, Helena Paul, Jim Slavin, Melanie Lamb, Martin Knott and Martin Watt were also present.

 

Apologies Cllr A Mahoney Cllr Ann Ritchie

Nan Wylie Steve Ganger

Jill Granger Cathie Smyth

 

M Archibald opened the meeting at 7.00pm by welcoming all those attending.

 

Approval of Previous Minutes 

Proposed by D Lawson and seconded by S Faulds.

 

Special Item – resignation of community councillor

Jonathan Avery tendered his resignation last month, having concluded his year as a community councillor. Jonathan made a substantial and much-appreciated contribution to BACC during his term and we thank him for this and for his on going administration of our new website.

 

Actions from Previous Minutes

• Land at the church, which may assist the wish for a village car park. Carriden Church officers are in discussion with the farmer.

• Blackness Primary School liaison – M Archibald will continue with this. M Watt is concerned that local events and traditions are not being accommodated. 

• Football for youngsters. 

• Location of village bike racks – M Archibald will get a detailed plan of the village (with Council owned land highlighted) to allow the location of this and other initiatives to be settled.

• List of for community funding. (post meeting note: new wall-mounted notice board needed to replace the one at the public toilet, which is beyond repair).

 

Community Police Report 

• News. Damage caused to John Muir Way path plant machinery near West Terrace on the night of 18/19 August. Enquiry ongoing with no suspects at present.

• Priorities. Antisocial behaviour, none reported other than above. Road Safety, concern expressed over speeding adjacent to school. M Archibald to ask if a Council Roads representative could attend a future BACC meeting to discuss. Drug dealing and violence/disorder, no reports of this in our area. Community Engagement, Community Officers continue to patrol the area.

 

Future Events/Fundraising

• Blackness is Beautiful (BiB) H Paul noted a programme of plant watering had been carried out throughout the summer. Many positive comments have been received about the planters. A BACC cheque for £250 was signed at the meeting and passed to H Paul for issue to Addiewell Prison as a contribution to the cost of the planters they provided. H Paul will arrange a meeting of BiB to discuss ongoing and new projects.

• John Muir Way (JMW). 

o Construction of our section of the JMW has been progressing through the summer and completion is now likely to be early October.

o Agreed that a provisional date for the previously proposed torchlit procession should be Friday 14 November. M Archibald will contact the Carriden Church officers and the school to discuss. He will also raise this with Falkirk Council as they are happy to participate. 

• New web site. Now up and running and looking good, well done Jonathan. Can we all ask friends and neighbours to register on the site to help spread its use across our community. Please pass feedback on your experience of the web site, to assist in refining it. 

• Christmas Fair. Jill Granger is organising this for Saturday 22 November from 1.30pm. If anyone would like to be involved either in taking a stall holders or helping out on the day please contact Jill.

 

Budget Update

• Budget update is appended to this minute. The balance at 10 September was £2,486.36, which includes £1,914.13 of Christmas Fair proceeds.

• D Lawson to phone Falkirk Council about BACC insurance and then check cost with Falkirk Council, including any special insurance cost of Torch lit Procession.

 

Councillor’s update

• None.

 

Planning Update 

• P/14/0441/AGR – New shed at 38 Mannerston, no approval required as it is permitted development within a smallholding. 

 

Any Other Business

• Community Councillors. Following J Avery’s resignation we urgently need a replacement, so please pass this on to any folk you think may be interested. The time commitment required is not great. To assist H Paul kindly offered to take the minutes for future BACC meetings.

• M Knott queried  Cllr Mahoney action on bus time tables. M Archibald will check.

• Picktober. Beach clean 10am 1 October Blackness Beach.

• Falkirk Development Plan. Agreed to support Concerned Communities of Falkirk view that the Plan should remain neutral on Coal Bed Methane gas extraction.

• School - applications for the joint head post for Blackness/Grange primary schools again being advertised. Parents Council – new members elected to key posts, previous post holders will give support to provide continuity. M Archibald to organise BACC/Parents Council meeting to discuss community/school interaction.

• Linlithgow Food and Drink Festival this weekend. Posters to be displayed in info cabinets.

• M Knott suggested a Hogmanay party – to be discussed further.

• BACC meetings in the village. D Lawson will check if pub or shop could be used.

• M Archibald to attend Community Council best practice forum on 23 October.

• D Lawson to contact Andrew Cassells at the Council on auditing BACC accounts.

 

Next meeting will be held at 7pm Wednesday 15 October 2014 in the Community Hall.

 

 

 

 

M Archibald thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting at 9.00pm